Thursday, August 2

Clarke Central's Journalism Team

Clarke Central High School, Athens, GA

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with David Ragsdale's high school journalism class yesterday afternoon at Clarke Central. It's two weeks before the official start of school and they're already working. After spending only two hours with them, I can see how their publications win awards (c.f., The Odyssey). They share with each other what they know. They solve problems together. They have fun.

We talked mostly about photography, and I brought up an issue that continues to vex me--sharing pictures of others online. With Flickr.com, for example, you can control whether pictures are private or public, but the default setting is public, and I find myself having reoccuring conversations with friends and family about the ethics of sharing photos online. David's group had some insightful comments for me to think about, namely the messiness of interpretation. I took from the conversation a good question to ask before posting: Is there any risk that this image might be harmful?

Still, I'm guessing just about everything has risk for harm. Even a seeminly innocuous image can function unpredictably in the lives of others. How do you seek balance between ethical concerns and "individual" artistic expression?





The above images were found scattered among an unsanctioned garbage dump in South Atlanta. I find them captivating and want to share them. View the whole series on my flickr account (before they come down?).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, thank you for this awesome report. I'm just now getting PowerPoint downpacked, and here you come talking about blogging, wikis, and all that stuff! Can I catch up, please! I want so bad to work with you and Paige, but my comps, job, 11th grade daughter, and classes won't allow me much flexibility. Keep up the good work. By the way, what is "btw"?

Sabreen

John Bishop said...

Hi Sabreen,
I know what you mean, there's a lot of stuff out there worth learning about. Good luck with comps, and I hope your daughter has a smooth transition into 11th grade. And btw (by the way), you can jump in (or out) of our monthly tech meetings anytime. We'll keep you posted.
John