Friday, November 2

Digital documentaries at Apalachee

We're in our 5th week at Apalachee High School doing a digital documentary project with high school juniors and seniors. Some things are going really well, we're using a blog to post drafts of our projects, both as a way to document our project together and as a tool to articulate our ideas for our pieces and receive some written feedback from students and teachers.

One thing thing I've learned--get acquainted with the lab you'll be working with. I won't spend too much time talking about the frustration of having sites like Flickr and Google blocked by the school, but we've shared some frustration together about having limited access to media and research sources. That said however, I've been impressed with the patience and the resilience these high school students have exhibited during the process.

One thing I've been struggling with is that many students are using so many various devices to capture digital video, audio and still images that we're spending significant amounts of time troubleshooting conversions for files compatible with Movie Maker. I admit, I wish we had a set of devices we could share that work consistently in the way we're able to upload digital media into our Movie Maker projects.

Still, the messiness is a learning process, and I'm proud of the way the students are taking it in stride. It reminds me to foreground the learning process above the product, at least at this early stage.

No comments: